Saturday, July 14, 2012

Linguine with Chickpeas & Arugula

Well I have to apologize because I completely screwed this recipe up by forgetting to take photos as I was cooking it. It was extremely easy and I was extremely hungry so all I could think about was the eating of the meal and not the preparation of the meal. It took about 20 minutes to prepare but I was moving at warp speeds around my kitchen because I wanted it in my belly. I got this recipe from the Rachel Ray magazine. It was perfect because it gave me an opportunity to use the remaining arugula from the other nights Tagliata with Arugula-Herb Sauce. I hate to waste good ingredients. 


First, you want to start a pot of boiling water for your pasta (Do not add the salt until the water boils. It will ruin the bottom of your pan). The recipe calls for whole grain linguine, but I used regular spaghetti noodles, you can use what you like. While the water is preparing to boil, chop up a red bell pepper. If you don't like the red, you can use whichever color you prefer. After that is chopped, mince up 2-3 cloves of garlic, zest two lemons, and rinse your chick peas in a strainer to get the can liquid off of them. You will not need the actual lemon for this recipe so you could make some lemonade or tea if you like. Heat 2 tbsp of butter (you need 5 tbsp total for this recipe) in a large pan (you want large because two cups of the pasta water is going to go in it) and add the bell pepper and garlic. Cook it until it is tender, about 5 minutes on high heat. As you are doing this, cook your pasta. You want to cook it about 5 minutes less than the package directions specify so it will be cooking roughly for 5 minutes. Add two cups of the pasta water along with the pasta noodles into the pan of bell pepper and garlic. Add the lemon zest, a tsp of crushed red pepper flakes, (less if you are not a fan of heat or more if you are) a dash of salt, (not too much because you are adding parmesan cheese later) and the chick peas. Cook this about 5 more minutes on high heat (for me, the heat was on was 8). The pasta will continue to cook in the reserved pasta water.


This is the chick pea can I used. They can generally be found in the pea aisle. If you are not familiar with chick peas, they taste similar to a lima bean, but have a tougher texture. They are very good and a nice compliment to the pasta.

Remove the pan from the heat and grate in your parmesan cheese (this is totally your call, for me, the more cheese the better. I added about 1/2 cup, the recipe says 3 oz.) and the remaining 3 tbsp of butter. I also like to use my microplane grater for the cheese and I had to wash it anyway because I zested the lemons with it. Add the arugula and toss everything together. The arugula will wilt and the butter and cheese will melt. The mixture will also thicken up nicely. It is not a runny sauce pasta.

Time to eat!

I thought this was very delicious. I had a glass (okay two glasses, but who's counting) of red wine with it.




Ingredients

  • box  (13.25 ox.) whole grain linguine
  • tablespoons butter
  • red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
  • can  (15.5 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed
  • lemons, zested
  • teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • Salt
  • ounces grated parmesan
  • ounces arugula (about 5 cups), trimmed and sliced into ribbons

Directions

  1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the linguine for 5 minutes less than package directions specify. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking water.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. butter over medium-low heat. Add the bell pepper and garlic and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the parcooked pasta, reserved cooking water, the chickpeas, lemon zest, crushed red pepper and 1 tsp. salt. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 5 minutes.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese and remaining 3 tbsp. butter. Stir in the arugula and toss to wilt.


Enjoy!!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment