Thursday, August 23, 2012

Icy Cold Gazpacho

I am doing this one for my dear friend Laureen. When I heard that I was going to be eating cold soup, I was a bit disgusted, but I will always taste new food and thank goodness I did. I really love this soup. I didn't take step by step photos with this one because I didn't want to bore you with photos of cut veggies. This is extremely delicious and extremely easy. With no need for the oven, it's a great summer treat. Allow yourself a good 40-45 minutes for the preparation process, but all that cutting is well worth it. This recipe is from my cooking teacher, Art, the kitchen guru. 

I do not measure everything out perfectly, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of cucumber, I use the whole cucumber, if it asks for 1/2 cup of bell pepper, I use a whole bell pepper. I hate to waste good veggies. There is no rule for cutting the veggies up, just remember that this is a soup and all of these ingredients are going to be in your mouth, so don't cut off more than you can chew :)

1 egg
2 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
1/2 cup green or yellow pepper
1 cup chopped cucumber, seeds removed (or a seedless English cucumber)
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cups beef broth, optional (I leave this out)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup finely minced parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp Worcestershire
Pepper, coarsely and freshly ground
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt
1 46 oz can tomato juice
1/2 cup fresh plain bread crumbs
Tabasco, to taste
Garnishes: Chopped parsley, minced red onion, chopped green onions

Place egg in a small pot of cold water, bring to boil, and let simmer for 1 minute, take off heat and let stand in water until water cools.

In a pot or large bowl, combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, red onion, olive oil, lemon juice, cold beef broth (if using), red wine vinegar, parsley, oregano, Worcestershire, and coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Stir.

Sprinkle garlic with a pinch of salt and set in bowl.

When egg is finished cooking, run under cold water, remove shell, add to garlic and salt mixture, and smash together with a fork.

Pour tomato juice into large pot or bowl with veggies and add garlic, egg, and salt mixture. Add bread crumbs and stir so that they dissolve into liquid.

Taste for seasoning and salt and pepper, and Tabasco to taste. Chill for at least 4 hours and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley, minced red onion, and chopped green olives if desired.

I think the olives are the best garnish for this dish. They give it such a great kick.



Enjoy!!!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Heya! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!

    Keep up the excellent work!

    Here is my blog post; courses for interior design

    ReplyDelete